Emirati faces punishment for back-heel penalty
Dubai: United Arab Emirates footballer may be punished for a back-heel penalty kick made when his team was already 6-2 up in a friendly against Lebanon, a daily reported on Tuesday.
Clips on video-sharing site YouTube that have notched up hundreds of thousands of views show Theyab Awana jogging towards the ball in Sunday`s match, but spinning to face away from the goal at the last minute and scoring with a backwards kick.
"This should not have happened." the Abu Dhabi-based daily quoted team manager Ismail Rashed as saying. "I think what happened is disrespectful.”
"We cannot accept anyone in our team who does not respect the opponent and does not respect the people who are working, or the supporters."
Rashed said team officials would meet soon to decide if Awana, who was on a substitute but was replaced straight after his 78th-minute penalty, will now face a penalty of a different kind.
"We could send him away from the team. We could make him pay a fine," he said, adding that Awana "is very sorry. He said: `I did wrong. I made a mistake`."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...