England call up Green to replace groom Stockdale
London: England have called goalkeeper Robert Green into their squad for next month`s Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland in place of David Stockdale who is getting married the day before the match at Wembley.
"The Fulham `keeper has a personal commitment in the build up to England`s Euro 2012 qualifier with Switzerland at Wembley Saturday 4 June," the FA said on its website (www.thefa.com) as it announced Green was replacing Stockdale.
The 31-year-old Green, who has just suffered relegation from the Premier League with his club West Ham United, had indicated he would not be available due to family commitments.
However, British media reported that Green became a father last week and after discussions with his family decided to make himself available to face the Swiss.
He has not played for his country since an error in a World Cup group game against the United States in South Africa last year.
Green joins first-choice keeper Joe Hart and Scott Carson in the squad after replacing 25-year-old Fulham reserve Stockdale.
After four matches, England lead the Group G standings with 10 points on goal difference from Montenegro, followed by Switzerland (4), Bulgaria (4) and Wales (0).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday