England call up Green to replace groom Stockdale
London: England have called goalkeeper Robert Green into their squad for next month`s Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland in place of David Stockdale who is getting married the day before the match at Wembley.
"The Fulham `keeper has a personal commitment in the build up to England`s Euro 2012 qualifier with Switzerland at Wembley Saturday 4 June," the FA said on its website (www.thefa.com) as it announced Green was replacing Stockdale.
The 31-year-old Green, who has just suffered relegation from the Premier League with his club West Ham United, had indicated he would not be available due to family commitments.
However, British media reported that Green became a father last week and after discussions with his family decided to make himself available to face the Swiss.
He has not played for his country since an error in a World Cup group game against the United States in South Africa last year.
Green joins first-choice keeper Joe Hart and Scott Carson in the squad after replacing 25-year-old Fulham reserve Stockdale.
After four matches, England lead the Group G standings with 10 points on goal difference from Montenegro, followed by Switzerland (4), Bulgaria (4) and Wales (0).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani