England call up Green to replace groom Stockdale
London: England have called goalkeeper Robert Green into their squad for next month`s Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland in place of David Stockdale who is getting married the day before the match at Wembley.
"The Fulham `keeper has a personal commitment in the build up to England`s Euro 2012 qualifier with Switzerland at Wembley Saturday 4 June," the FA said on its website (www.thefa.com) as it announced Green was replacing Stockdale.
The 31-year-old Green, who has just suffered relegation from the Premier League with his club West Ham United, had indicated he would not be available due to family commitments.
However, British media reported that Green became a father last week and after discussions with his family decided to make himself available to face the Swiss.
He has not played for his country since an error in a World Cup group game against the United States in South Africa last year.
Green joins first-choice keeper Joe Hart and Scott Carson in the squad after replacing 25-year-old Fulham reserve Stockdale.
After four matches, England lead the Group G standings with 10 points on goal difference from Montenegro, followed by Switzerland (4), Bulgaria (4) and Wales (0).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?