England players booed in Wembley curtain-raiser
Wembley: The England players who flopped in the World Cup finals were booed by Manchester United and Chelsea fans every time they touched the ball in the opening stages of the Community Shield season curtain-raiser on Sunday.
In the first high profile match since England lost 4-1 to Germany in the secound round of the World Cup in Bloemfontein on June 27, the United fans jeered Chelsea players Ashley Cole, John Terry and Frank Lampard while the Chelsea supporters dished out the same treatment to United`s Wayne Rooney.
England coach Fabio Capello was also booed by fans of both teams when he took his place among the VIP seats shortly before the kickoff.
The Chelsea trio and Rooney will all be back at Wembley together on Wednesday when England play Hungary in a friendly international with a negative reception expected from the crowd again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'