English athletes to miss Delhi CWG: Report
London: The athletics and Gymnastics events of 2010 Commonwealth Games might loss sheen as a host of top English names have decided to skip the quadrennial sporting extravaganza to focus on the 2012 London Olympics.
Besides Olympics Heptathlon bronze medallist Kelly Sotherton and long-distance runner Paula Radcliffe, Jessica Ennis, Beth Tweddle, Dan Keatings and Louis Smith are some of names who have reportedly decided to give the Delhi Games a miss.
"For some of the 17 sports, Commonwealth Games gold is the pinnacle achievement in an athlete`s career. But a host of top names from athletics and gymnastics have decided not to travel to next year`s games in Delhi as London 2012 looms," The Telegraph reported.
Team England`s chef de mission Craig Hunter, however, tried to allay the fear of a mass withdrawals from the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
"Let`s wait until we board the plane in September. The majority of the household names have said they will be there but a lot of things can happen along the way," Hunter was quoted as saying by the daily.
The Commonwealth Games are being viewed as a pathway into London Olympics and some sports are eyeing to give the final touch to their preparation using the Delhi event.
"That`s a challenge for us. We want to achieve our best ever Games. We are continually raising the bar to be the top nation in the Commonwealth," Hunter said.
Meanwhile, double Olympic champion swimmer Rebecca Adlington has already promised to travel to Delhi and said a gold medal "will be a highlight of my career".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report