English athletes to miss Delhi CWG: Report
London: The athletics and Gymnastics events of 2010 Commonwealth Games might loss sheen as a host of top English names have decided to skip the quadrennial sporting extravaganza to focus on the 2012 London Olympics.
Besides Olympics Heptathlon bronze medallist Kelly Sotherton and long-distance runner Paula Radcliffe, Jessica Ennis, Beth Tweddle, Dan Keatings and Louis Smith are some of names who have reportedly decided to give the Delhi Games a miss.
"For some of the 17 sports, Commonwealth Games gold is the pinnacle achievement in an athlete`s career. But a host of top names from athletics and gymnastics have decided not to travel to next year`s games in Delhi as London 2012 looms," The Telegraph reported.
Team England`s chef de mission Craig Hunter, however, tried to allay the fear of a mass withdrawals from the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
"Let`s wait until we board the plane in September. The majority of the household names have said they will be there but a lot of things can happen along the way," Hunter was quoted as saying by the daily.
The Commonwealth Games are being viewed as a pathway into London Olympics and some sports are eyeing to give the final touch to their preparation using the Delhi event.
"That`s a challenge for us. We want to achieve our best ever Games. We are continually raising the bar to be the top nation in the Commonwealth," Hunter said.
Meanwhile, double Olympic champion swimmer Rebecca Adlington has already promised to travel to Delhi and said a gold medal "will be a highlight of my career".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note