Essien injured in Ghana training
Luanda: Ghana captain Michael Essien suffered a knee injury during training at the African Nations Cup on Sunday, a spokesman for the Black Stars said.
The Chelsea midfielder, who has played just 45 minutes at the tournament in Angola, is doubtful for Tuesday`s key Group B match against Burkina Faso in Luanda.
"He picked up a knock in training and was taken to the hospital for checks," Ghana spokesman Randy Abbey told reporters.
"He has been released from the hospital to join his team mates. He is now resting at the hotel. We don`t know the extent of the injury."
Essien arrived almost a week after his team at the event, after being given time to recover from a hamstring injury at his London club. His arrival was also held up by flight cancellations because of bad weather in Europe.
Ghana must win their match against Burkina Faso to qualify for the quarter-finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note