EU doesn`t believe in Afghan success: WikiLeaks
Brussels: Leaked diplomatic memos say European Union President Herman Van Rompuy told America`s ambassador that the EU no longer believes in success in Afghanistan, and that European troops are still there "out of deference to the United States."
US Ambassador to Belgium Howard Gutman, in the memo released by WikiLeaks, quotes Van Rompuy as saying that the EU will wait until the end of 2010 to see progress.
Van Rompuy, the former Belgian prime minister who at the time was EU president-designate, reportedly said that "if it doesn`t work, that will be it, because it is the last
America`s European allies contribute about 30,000 troops to the US-led international force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam