Even moderate weight loss can yield heart benefits: Study
Washington: American scientists have
claimed that even moderate weight loss improves heart function of obese people.
Researchers from Washington University School of
Medicine, St Louis, claimed that obese people who lost a
moderate amount of weight by eating less and exercising more
improved their cardiovascular health, Journal of the American
College of Cardiology reported.
"Losing 20 or so pounds might seem daunting to some
people, but we showed that even a more modest weight loss can
yield heart and vascular benefits," says lead author Lisa de
She said, "It`s important to realise that you can
choose goals that are attainable and work progressively toward
them. You don`t necessarily need to lose 50 pounds to improve
your heart function."
The study showed that weight loss lead to improvement
in four key measures of heart and vascular health --
decreasing thickness of heart muscle, improved pumping and
relaxation functions and decreased thickness of the carotid
Heart muscle thickening and impaired pumping and
relaxation functions are predictors of heart failure, and
increased carotid wall thickness is a predictor of plaque
The researchers studied 60 moderately obese individuals
at regular intervals, and 46 people (78 per cent) completed
the entire two-year follow-up period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested