Even moderate weight loss can yield heart benefits: Study
Washington: American scientists have
claimed that even moderate weight loss improves heart function of obese people.
Researchers from Washington University School of
Medicine, St Louis, claimed that obese people who lost a
moderate amount of weight by eating less and exercising more
improved their cardiovascular health, Journal of the American
College of Cardiology reported.
"Losing 20 or so pounds might seem daunting to some
people, but we showed that even a more modest weight loss can
yield heart and vascular benefits," says lead author Lisa de
She said, "It`s important to realise that you can
choose goals that are attainable and work progressively toward
them. You don`t necessarily need to lose 50 pounds to improve
your heart function."
The study showed that weight loss lead to improvement
in four key measures of heart and vascular health --
decreasing thickness of heart muscle, improved pumping and
relaxation functions and decreased thickness of the carotid
Heart muscle thickening and impaired pumping and
relaxation functions are predictors of heart failure, and
increased carotid wall thickness is a predictor of plaque
The researchers studied 60 moderately obese individuals
at regular intervals, and 46 people (78 per cent) completed
the entire two-year follow-up period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Indian Premier League 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...
- Rahul Singh takes blessings from poor on his B-day
- Dino Morea, Ranbir Kapoor flaunt football skills! - See pics
- BJP to go it alone in UP Assembly polls, Ram temple not to be on poll agenda: Mahesh Sharma
- Thousands flee IS offensive in northern Syria: Monitor