Eves head to Japan for Asia basketball tourney
New Delhi: India`s Senior Women`s Basketball team will leave for Japan tonight to take part in the 24th FIBA Asia Championship for women in Omura-Nagasaki from August 21-28.
The Basketball Federation of India has picked a 12-member team to represent India in the tournament. Besides, four officials and two official FIBA referees would also form a part of the contingent.
Almost all the players, who represented India at the William Jones Cup in Taiwan last week, except for Harjeet Kaur who has been excluded due to an injury, are going to Japan as well.
Kaur has been replaced by Sonika Ohylan for the tournament.
The team will be led by American coach Pete Gaudet.
India have been placed in Level I of the Championship, along with champions China, hosts Japan, Korea, Chinese Taipei and Lebanon.
In Level II, the teams are Malaysia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, and Singapore.
The team: Akanksha Singh (Delhi), Anitha Paul Durai (Indian Railways), Bharti (Indian Railways), Geethu Anna Jose (Indian Railways), Harjeet Kaur (Delhi), Kruthika Lakshman (Karnataka), Kokila Subramani (Tamil Nadu), Prashanti Singh (Delhi), Pushpa Maddu (Indian Railways), Shireen Vijay Limaye (Maharashtra), Smruthi Radhakrishnan (Indian Railways), Sonika Ohylan (Delhi).
Head Coach: Pete Gaudet
Assistant Coach: Abdul Hamid Khan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video