Eves seek equal treatment; reject Hockey India cash offer
New Delhi: Hockey India was left with egg on their face when the women team snubbed the games’ apex body’s offer, demanding incentive equal to that the men’s team gets.
In a prompt reaction to downplay the protest launched by India’s women hockey team over non-payment of dues, Hockey India had sanctioned a sum of Rs 50,000 to each member of the team with an immediate effect.
In addition, the apparently cash starved body had also announced that the players would be receiving an additional Rs 50,000, besides promising a further Rs 1 lakh with Government’s aid.
“The kind of media coverage and the money we get is much less than what we deserve. So we have decided not to accept the money offered by Hockey India,” a player Deepika Murthy told a news channel.
“All the players are united in this decision,” said the centre-forward.
Barely had dust settled over a week long tussle between the men’s hockey team and Hockey India, that culminated with players’ demands being met, followed by the resignation of AK Mattoo as the body’s President, women`s hockey team had launched its protest on Wednesday.
Though the players did not boycott the camp, unlike their male counterparts, they sported black arm-bands during practice on Thursday as a mark of protest.
The women team had supported the men in their protest wholeheartedly, only to be later told there was no money to clear their dues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you