Ex-BJP MLA crosses over to Congress in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Ahead of Gujarat Assembly polls, former BJP MLA Jeetendra Patel along with four party members on Wednesday joined Congress, alleging Chief Minister`s "autocratic" style of functioning.
"Former MLA Dr Jeetendra Patel along with members Ramesh Patel (Doodhwala), Bharat Patel, Kamlesh Babulal Shah and Amrutlal Patel have decided to join Congress party," ex-Deputy Chief Minister Narhari Amin announced in a press conference.
An orthopaedic by profession, Dr Patel was elected to the state Legislative Assembly from Sabarmati constituency in 2002.
Patel gave "inconsistency" in Modi`s ideological stand and his "autocratic" style as reasons to join Congress.
Patel who switched his loyalty to Keshubhai Patel just ahead of the 2007 Assembly elections had been denied ticket by Modi. He, however, stayed with BJP even as Keshubhai parted ways with the party to form `Gujarat Parivartan Party`.
Patel and other BJP members who defected today are said to be organisational men rooted in western part of Ahmedabad.
"As these five prominent leaders have defected from the BJP, on whom they were having dependence in Western Ahmedabad region, Congress will now have major impact in upcoming Assembly elections," said Gujarat Congress President Arjun Modhwadia.
Apart from Modhwadia, state Congress Election Campaign Committee Chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela and former state Congress president Siddharth Patel also welcomed the development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users