Ex-F1 champs back `mentally tough` Webber to win world title
Melbourne : Red Bull driver Mark Webber has the mental toughness to lift the world title in Abu Dhabi on Sunday night, according to former Formula One champions.
Australia`s two F1 champions, Sir Jack Brabham and Alan Jones, both believe Webber can beat current leader Fernando Alonso and teammate Sebastian Vettel to lift the crown.
"He`s got the right attitude. He`s going to go and do it. I`ve spoken to him on the phone a couple of times and he`s very fired up. I hope he makes it. It will be fantastic for Australia if he does," Brabham said.
Jones also believes Webber has the edge in a scrap. "I think he`s better mentally attuned to a challenge," Fox Sports quoted him, as saying.
"In all honesty, if there are any mind games or mental tests, it`s in Mark`s favour. He`s come up the hard way. The others, to some degree, have got a silver spoon in their mouths. They will be more likely to throw a tantrum," Jones said.
Jones further said Webber needs to forget about the championship and concentrate on winning the race.
"He`s just got to treat it like another grand prix. He cannot go in preoccupied with the championship. I used to take one race at a time," he said.
Brabham wants luck to be on Webber`s side. "He will need a little bit of luck with it. Basically, he`s got to win the race to be sure of it," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'