Ex-Rutgers student won`t be deported to India
Trenton: A former Rutgers University student convicted of using a webcam to spy on his gay roommate will not be deported to his native India, federal immigration authorities said on Monday.
Twenty-year-old Dharun Ravi is due to be released from the Middlesex County Jail tomorrow after serving 20 days of a 30-day jail sentence.
He was convicted this year of 15 criminal counts, including bias intimidation and invasion of privacy, for using a webcam to see his roommate kissing another man in September 2010.
Days later, the roommate, Tyler Clementi, threw himself to his death off the George Washington Bridge.
The issue of deportation has hung over the case.
Ravi was born in India, lived there until he was 5 years old and remains a citizen, though he is in the United States legally.
Foreign citizens convicted of crimes in the United States can face deportation, usually after they complete their prison or jail terms.
Last year, Ravi rejected a plea deal under which prosecutors would have sought to protect him from being deported.
Ravi could have received up to 10 years in prison. His supporters argued for leniency in part to make it less likely that he would be deported. Experts say the proceedings are usually initiated against those who are incarcerated for a year or more.
Last month, the second man in the streamed video, identified in court only by the initials M B said through a lawyer that he was willing to write a letter on Ravi`s behalf opposing deportation.
In a statement released today, US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement spokesman Ross Feinstein said Ravi would not face deportation because of his criminal record.
The webcam case is his first brush with the law.
He voluntarily reported to jail on May 31 though he could have remained free while the case is on appeal.
Prosecutors have asked an appeals court to give him a longer sentence. Ravi is arguing to have his conviction overturned.
His jail time is reduced by 10 days because of a state law that allows shorter sentences for good behavior and working.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor