Exhausted Contador concedes Tour de France defeat
Col Du Galibier (France): Alberto Contador said winning a fourth Tour de France title this year was now "impossible" after he cracked in the final ascent of Thursday`s 18th stage won by Andy Schleck.
The 28-year-old Spaniard finished 3 minutes and 50 seconds behind the stage winner, who is now poised to reach the top of the podium in Paris after finishing runner-up to Contador in the last two editions.
Contador, seventh overall, trails France`s Thomas Voeckler by 4:44 with Schleck just 15 seconds behind the leader.
"Victory is impossible now. I had a bad day," the Spaniard said.
"My legs did not respond and I suffered an incredible collapse. It was a very hard day from the start."
Contador did not respond to Schleck`s attack 60 kilometers from the finish as the peloton was confident they could reel in the Luxembourg rider in the valley leading to the final climb.
They did not and Australian Cadel Evans launched the pursuit in the ascent to the Col du Galibier to limit the damage with Contador, who had to take an analgesic for the pain in his right knee, cracking with just less than two kilometers left.
"Andy played his cards in an intelligent way. He got team mates into the breakaway and he rode a great stage. Congratulations to him,added Contador, who is unbeaten in all the grand Tours he has entered since 2007.
"I did not expect this but I`m used to different situations. Now I am thinking about resting. I am exhausted and thinking about tomorrow now."
Friday`s 19th stage is a short, punchy ride to the top of the famous Alpe d`Huez.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'