Expert opinion sought for drafting sports bill
Kolkata: In its effort to expedite the drafting of proposed sports bill, the West Bengal government has sought expert opinion from all quarters that would be discussed with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
In the first star-studded meeting of the sports council after it was revamped, a proposal was made to build an indoor stadium near Rabindra Sarobar which will be developed into a world class football facility as promised by the AIFF.
However, the high profile member of the sports council, Sourav Ganguly, was conspicuous by his absence.
Highlighting details of the meeting, sports minister Madan Mitra said, "We have asked the respective sport faculties to give expert opinion on the sports bill. After getting their views, a final draft will be ready for approval. It will be done in seven days` time."
Mitra stressed on the need for developing sports infrastructure in the state.
"We want to develop an indoor facility at the Rabindra Saroboar after it`s made a football stadium. There are also plans to develop the barren land opposite ITC Sonar that can be used as training grounds for the big football clubs of the city."
On the state government`s proposal to make sport compulsory in schools, Mohun Bagan managing director Anjan Mitra said, "Study will get hampered... It will be taxing for the kids to study as well as play during the school periods."
Mitra instead suggested the state government should devise a method that allows the kids to pursue their favourite sport and get a certificate.
Olympians Leslie Claudius, Vece Paes, Gurbux Singh, Chuni Goswami among others took part in the meeting held at Netaji Indoor Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr