Expert opinion sought for drafting sports bill
Kolkata: In its effort to expedite the drafting of proposed sports bill, the West Bengal government has sought expert opinion from all quarters that would be discussed with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
In the first star-studded meeting of the sports council after it was revamped, a proposal was made to build an indoor stadium near Rabindra Sarobar which will be developed into a world class football facility as promised by the AIFF.
However, the high profile member of the sports council, Sourav Ganguly, was conspicuous by his absence.
Highlighting details of the meeting, sports minister Madan Mitra said, "We have asked the respective sport faculties to give expert opinion on the sports bill. After getting their views, a final draft will be ready for approval. It will be done in seven days` time."
Mitra stressed on the need for developing sports infrastructure in the state.
"We want to develop an indoor facility at the Rabindra Saroboar after it`s made a football stadium. There are also plans to develop the barren land opposite ITC Sonar that can be used as training grounds for the big football clubs of the city."
On the state government`s proposal to make sport compulsory in schools, Mohun Bagan managing director Anjan Mitra said, "Study will get hampered... It will be taxing for the kids to study as well as play during the school periods."
Mitra instead suggested the state government should devise a method that allows the kids to pursue their favourite sport and get a certificate.
Olympians Leslie Claudius, Vece Paes, Gurbux Singh, Chuni Goswami among others took part in the meeting held at Netaji Indoor Stadium.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!