Exports grow 18% in Nov to halt 13-month fall
New Delhi: India`s exports grew over 18 percent to touch USD 13.2 billion in November, reversing the
downtrend seen in the past 13 months in a row due to shrinking
in demand in major western markets.
However, these are early days to rejoice because the
growth is attributed to base effect. "There is no great shift
in demand, it (growth) is because of base effect," Commerce
Secretary Rahul Khullar told reporters here.
Expressing happiness that exports have turned around,
Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIE)) said the
turnaround is an "indication of exporters` resilience and
positive impact of the stimulus extended by the government",
FIEO President A Shakthivel said.
He hoped that government would continue with the
"interest subvention (subsidy) for exports as interest rates
are set to move northward".
Gems and jewellery grew over 40 per cent to USD 2.15
billion in the month under study. Readymade garment shipments
grew to USD 727 million from USD 686 million in the same month
a year ago. Man-made fibre and petroleum products also
contributed to the turnaround story.
However for April-November period of the fiscal, exports
dropped to 104.25 billion dollars from 134.2 billion dollars
in the same period a year ago.
Exports started falling in October last year following
deepening of global financial crisis post-Lehman collapse.
This coupled with recession in developed markets saw India`s
exports taking a severe beating.
The impact of falling demand felt the maximum in May this
with exports declining a steep 39 percent.
However, October figures had given some indications that
falling trend could be halted soon. Though exports fell in
October as well, pace of decline slowed down to single digit
at 6.6 percent, which was also attributed to base effect.
Analysts had said there was an uptick in revival of some
demand in the overseas markets and hoped that the forthcoming
Christmas festivities would further push Indian exports. The
US and other major markets coming out of the recession in
July-September quarter also augured well, they had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in