F1 driver Kubica leaves hospital
Injured Formula One star Robert Kubica left hospital nearly three months after a horrifying rally accident almost cost him his hand, Italian media reports said.
Rome: Injured Formula One star Robert Kubica left hospital nearly three months after a horrifying rally accident almost cost him his hand, Italian media reports said.
The Polish driver had been confined to the Santa Corona hospital in the town of Pietra Ligure since his crash in February, which left him with serious arm and leg injuries and required a series of operations.
It also ruled him out of the entire F1 season.
"Robert Kubica is no longer at the Santa Corona hospital at Pietra Ligure," the clinic said in a statement made available to reporters.
"He is in good condition. The driver will be able to begin a new phase of rehabilitation outside hospital.”
"Appointments are scheduled with doctors who have been treating him and who will thus continue to do so."
Kubica was injured during the Ronde di Andora rally in northern Italy on February 6.
The Renault Formula One driver narrowly escaped having his right arm and hand amputated after he crashed at high speed and had to undergo extensive surgery.
The Gazzetta dello sport newspaper quoted Doctor Riccardo Ceccarelli as saying Kubica was unlikely to be able to return to the track for another six months.
"I am starting to feel a lot better now. My recovery is moving in the right direction: my strength and weight are increasing day by day and as a result I will leave the Santa Corona hospital very soon," Kubica had told the Renault F1 website.
He also indicated he would undergo further rehabilitation after travelling back to his home in Monaco.