F1 drivers Webber, Massa show support for Kubica
Jerez: Australia`s Mark Webber described Robert Kubica as one of the world`s best drivers as Formula One united in its support for the Pole who suffered a terrifying rally crash at the weekend.
Kubica is certain to miss the new season which gets underway in Bahrain in four weeks` time after suffering multiple injuries in the smash which required seven hours of surgery.
The Lotus Renault driver was absent from the first day of the year`s second official test on Thursday, but the teams here all carried messages of support on the side of their cars.
Kubica`s team-mate Vitaly Petrov of Russia had a Polish message `Szybkiego powrotu do zdrowia Robert` - `Get well soon Robert` emblazoned on his engine cover.
"I`d like to add that my wishes are with Robert," said Red Bull driver Webber.
"It was a big shock for all of us, I couldn’t believe it. I’m happy, as it looks like the people involved have done an incredible job for him after the accident to keep him in the best shape possible.”
"It’s a big loss for our sport that he’s not here this year and a big loss for us as competitors, as we’re motivated to race against the best guys in the world and Robert is one of them.”
"I wish him all the best for his recovery; every day he?ll make progress and I?m looking forward to having him back when he is ready."
Ferrari`s Felipe Massa, who topped the time charts on Thursday, said he was delighted that Kubica was making a recovery.
"I am glad Robert is getting better. It was nice that we all had a note for him on our cars and again I wish all the very best," said Massa.
Kubica, whose right hand was partially severed in the crash, left the intensive care unit at the Santa Corona hospital in Pietra Ligure in Italy on Thursday and was moved to the accident and emergency department.
He will undergo a new operation on Friday and is also awaiting surgery on his upper arm and foot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends