F1 Indian GP venue named ‘Buddh International Circuit’
Sepang: The venue for the first Formula One Grand Prix in India has been named the ‘Buddh International Circuit’, race promoter Jaypee Sports International has announced.
The circuit, about 40 kilometres from New Delhi, can accommodate up to 125,000 spectators, including 25,000 fans at the main grandstand and thousands more at the “natural grass” stands and temporary stands.
“It is from the word Buddha to mean peace and calmness,” the Star quoted Sameer Gaur, Managing Director and Chief Executive of Jaypee Sports International, as saying.
“It is also not about one person, but an entire region working with one another,” he added.
Gaur further said that construction of the 5.14 kilometre track would be completed by August 30, and would be “the country’s next biggest sporting event after the ICC Cricket World Cup.”
The race will take place on October 30, subject to “homologation” - the inspection and approval from the Federation Internationale d’Automobile (FIA) that the track meets all predetermined requirements -three months prior.
It will mark a monumental journey that began over a decade ago and has coursed its way across the country.
The circuit has been designed by world-renowned F1 circuit designer Hermann Tilke, and has cost 400 million dollars.
It will be part of the 2,500-acre Jaypee Greens Sports City, which is planned to include a 100,000-seat cricket stadium, 18-hole golf course, 25,000-seat hockey stadium and a sports academy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof