F1 leader Webber crashes out in Korea
South Korea : Formula One championship leader Mark Webber crashed out of the rain-delayed South Korean Grand Prix on Sunday in a major blow for his title chances.
The Australian`s Red Bull spun, hit the wall and then slid into the path of the Mercedes of Germany`s Nico Rosberg only one lap after the safety car had left the track clear for racing following a long rain delay.
He had been in second place behind team mate Sebastian Vettel, with cars lapping a treacherously slippy surface in clouds of spray.
Webber had started the day 14 points clear of Ferrari`s Fernanndo Alonso and Vettel, with McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton another 14 adrift.
World champion Jenson Button, the fifth title contender, is 31 points off the lead.
"Totally my fault," Webber, winner of four races this season, told the BBC after making his way back to the paddock. It was only his second retirement in 17 races.
"I got on the kerb on the exit of Turn 12 and it was a very slow-motion moment off the back of that kerb. Totally my mistake. Wasn`t my day. And I collected Nico as well.
"Positions are not important -- the points are the most important thing. This is my second non-finish of the year. There are still two races to go, I`ll do my absolute best."
The race had started behind the safety car and Webber`s accident happened on lap 19.
Vettel was leading the race from Alonso after the crash, with Hamilton third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'