F1 leader Webber crashes out in Korea
South Korea : Formula One championship leader Mark Webber crashed out of the rain-delayed South Korean Grand Prix on Sunday in a major blow for his title chances.
The Australian`s Red Bull spun, hit the wall and then slid into the path of the Mercedes of Germany`s Nico Rosberg only one lap after the safety car had left the track clear for racing following a long rain delay.
He had been in second place behind team mate Sebastian Vettel, with cars lapping a treacherously slippy surface in clouds of spray.
Webber had started the day 14 points clear of Ferrari`s Fernanndo Alonso and Vettel, with McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton another 14 adrift.
World champion Jenson Button, the fifth title contender, is 31 points off the lead.
"Totally my fault," Webber, winner of four races this season, told the BBC after making his way back to the paddock. It was only his second retirement in 17 races.
"I got on the kerb on the exit of Turn 12 and it was a very slow-motion moment off the back of that kerb. Totally my mistake. Wasn`t my day. And I collected Nico as well.
"Positions are not important -- the points are the most important thing. This is my second non-finish of the year. There are still two races to go, I`ll do my absolute best."
The race had started behind the safety car and Webber`s accident happened on lap 19.
Vettel was leading the race from Alonso after the crash, with Hamilton third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video