F1`s Hamilton pledges to be a cautious driver
Valencia: Defending world champion Sebastian Vettel may be starting from pole position in the European Grand Prix, but all eyes will - once again - be on Lewis Hamilton when the race gets underway later on Sunday.
The 2008 drivers` champion, has emerged unscathed, after four accidents and two brushes with the stewards at the last two Grands Prix, to line up third on the grid behind Vettel and his Red Bull team-mate Australian Mark Webber.
For the fans expected to pack the Mediterranean port circuit in eastern Spain, it is sure to create a thrilling start - with a reasonable promise of early mayhem.
That was the story two weeks ago in Montreal where Hamilton collided with his team-mate Jenson Button, the eventual winner, and Webber on his way to an early retirement from the Canadian Grand Prix.
Hamilton, 26, the first driver of Afro-Caribbean descent in F1 and once the youngest world champion until Vettel took the crown last year, has pledged, however, that here on Sunday he will restrain his daredevil instincts as much as he can.
"I don`t think I will be any more cautious and I`d like to say no, about it, but in truth I want to finish for the team and that is the key this weekend. I am going to try to be as aggressive as always, but it is really important that I finish this race.
"So, I guess, if I get a passing opportunity, instead of just thinking once and reacting, maybe I will think twice. Maybe that means more caution - maybe. If so, then so be it! But I am still aiming to overtake and to attack hard."
While some of his moves this season have drawn gasps of astonishment from former drivers, his style has earned him nothing but praise from team boss Martin Whitmarsh.
"I have no problem with how Lewis is racing," he said.
"He is a natural, aggressive, born racer and he`s going to go out there and race. I wouldn`t want him to do it any other way."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next