FA warns Ferguson and Ancelotti after ref comments
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti were both warned as to their future conduct by the Football Association (FA) on Tuesday in relation to recent comments about referee Howard Webb.
Both managers made complimentary remarks about World Cup final referee Webb ahead of the Premier League clash between the title rivals at Old Trafford on May 8.
However, in the process, they contravened FA regulations prohibiting managers from making any comments whatsoever about referees prior to a match.
Ferguson was warned to his future conduct before the FA issued an identical ruling on Ancelotti several hours later the same day.
Scottish boss Ferguson was handed a five-match touchline ban by the FA earlier this term for his derogatory comments about referee Martin Atkinson during United`s match at Chelsea`s Stamford Bridge ground.
But there was widespread disbelief that he faced the prospect of being punished for praising Webb, with even Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, a longstanding rival of Ferguson, saying: "To me, it doesn`t look to be a major problem to say that somebody is good. I would not charge him for that."
United beat Chelsea 2-1 and last weekend gained the point they needed to reclaim the Premier League title from the Blues with a draw at Blackburn.
Now Ferguson can concentrate on preparing United for their Champions League final against Spanish giants Barcelona at Wembley on May 28 without the threat of more significant FA action hanging over him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video