Fabregas leads Spain to 2-1 win in Armenia
Yerevan: A neat finish from Cesc Fabregas and a Juan Mata penalty gave Spain a 2-1 win over Armenia in their World Cup Group Five qualifier on Saturday.
The European champions had already secured their place in South Africa next year as group winners and coach Vicente del Bosque rested a number of key players including first-choice goalkeeper and captain Iker Casillas.
Xavi led the side in rainy Yerevan and the Barcelona midfielder`s chipped pass in the 33rd minute allowed Fabregas to lose his marker and lift the ball over Armenia keeper Roman Berezovski into the net.
Armenia were level on 58 minutes when Carles Puyol appeared to head into his own net, although the goal was credited to defender Robert Arzumanyan, but Spain restored their lead six minutes later from the spot.
Berezovski felled Juan Mata and the Valencia forward converted the penalty low to the keeper`s left. Spain`s final match of the group is against Bosnia in Zenica on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read