Fabregas `really wants` move to Barca
Madrid: Barcelona will refuse to pay 40 million euros (35 million pounds) for Arsenal skipper Cesc Fabregas although he "really wants" to transfer, according to Barcelona president Sandro Rosell.
"I don`t know if we will sign Cesc or not. What I have no doubt of is that he really wants to come to Barca," Rosell told a news channel in an interview late Monday.
Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola knows that every player has a value "and that Cesc is worth less than 40 million. We will offer less than 40 million and if Arsenal don`t accept it, Cesc won`t come," Rosell said.
"This year we won`t offer the same as last year because a year has gone by and Cesc today is not worth 40 million."
Gunners coach Arsene Wenger had insisted last month that he was determined to spend a second successive summer fighting off mighty Barcelona to keep Fabregas at the Emirates.
But Spanish media say he has since decided not to fight the move.
The Gunners turned down a bid from the Spanish champions last year for a player who spent his junior days at Barcelona before joining Arsenal at the age of 16 in 2003.
"I am a Barca supporter. I am a member like my grandfather, my uncle, my cousin," Fabregas said last year.
"I love their colours since I was very small. I am Catalan. However, I am captain of Arsenal, I am a Gunner and it is there that I have become a player and that I have matured as a person."
Rosell, who took over as president from Joan Laporta in July 2010, also said "nothing was closed" regarding the transfer of Chilean international forward Alexis Sanchez from Italian side Udinese.
Spanish sports media have said the 22-year-old, who is under contract with Udinese until June 2014, is close to joining the European champions.
"We don`t have money for signings. When we arrived we saw that the club`s debt was much higher than what was being stated," the Barcelona president added when asked about the possibility of signing either Sanchez or Italian striker Giuseppe Rossi from Villarreal.
"Only one of the two will come," he said said.
Rosell said cost-cutting measures put in place since he became president "were necessary for the sustainability of the club".
Banning colour photocopies alone "saves us 300,000 euros", he said.
Shortly after Rosell`s arrival, Barcelona secured a 150 million euro bank loan to help pay player and staff wages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in