Fabregas transfer saga nearing end: Reports
London: Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas is set to join Barcelona after the Gunners accepted a 36-million-euro offer for the Spanish midfielder, British press reported on Thursday.
Multiple reports said the saga of Fabregas` return to his boyhood club was likely to be settled before the start of this weekend`s Premier League campaign as Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger attempts to draw a line under the affair.
Fabregas`s likely departure ends years of speculation surrounding the 24-year-old World Cup winner, who had made no secret of his desire to one day return to the Nou Camp.
Several outlets reported that Fabregas would forfeit five million euros in compensation he is contractually entitled to because of Arsenal`s decision to sell him to Barcelona.
Barcelona had tabled a bid for Fabregas last summer only to have it rejected by Arsenal, who insisted the player was not for sale.
However Arsenal`s hardline stance did not deter Barcelona, who duly resumed their pursuit of the player this year.
Wenger had initially insisted he expected Fabregas to stay but has become increasingly resigned to losing the player.
However Wenger urged Fabregas to show commitment last month to avoid destabilising Arsenal`s pre-season.
"If Fabregas is committed to this club and wants to stay, no money will get him out of here," Wenger said before the Emirates Cup.
"We are not in a position where we need to sell our players. We are not looking after money.
"He cares about this club and that`s why I hope he can keep him."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Actor-politician Ramya says 'Pakistan not hell', faces sedition charge
- After NEET, govt works on National Authority for Testing for engineering admissions
- SHOCKING! Hyderabad woman arrested for carrying 2 Kg gold in her underwear at Delhi airport
- Thailand military court opens trial in Bangkok shrine blast
- How to overcome your jetlag?