Faulty EVMs in Assam`s Cachar district
Karimganj: With just two days left for
Assembly Elections, 900 of the 1,161 EVM machines are not
working in South Assam`s Cachar district, officials said
The faulty electronic voting machines (EVM) were
displaying `low battery` as their expiry date was July 2010,
Though the EVM`s had July 2010 as the expiry date a
label pasted on top put it as August 2012, they said.
The problem was discovered when the EVMs were opened
and tested before the polling agents as instructed by the
Election Commission, they said.
Four engineers of the company which supplied the EVMs
had arrived from Kolkata and were trying since yesterday to
rectify the problem, officials said.
"The engineers are working. We hope to solve the
problem within a short time," Cachar district Returning
Officer Harendra Kumar Deb Mahanta said.
Meanwhile, polling personnel for the remote areas of
the district had proceeded to their destinations with the
remaining EVMs, they said.
The remaining would go after the repair of the faulty
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant