Faulty EVMs in Assam`s Cachar district
Karimganj: With just two days left for
Assembly Elections, 900 of the 1,161 EVM machines are not
working in South Assam`s Cachar district, officials said
The faulty electronic voting machines (EVM) were
displaying `low battery` as their expiry date was July 2010,
Though the EVM`s had July 2010 as the expiry date a
label pasted on top put it as August 2012, they said.
The problem was discovered when the EVMs were opened
and tested before the polling agents as instructed by the
Election Commission, they said.
Four engineers of the company which supplied the EVMs
had arrived from Kolkata and were trying since yesterday to
rectify the problem, officials said.
"The engineers are working. We hope to solve the
problem within a short time," Cachar district Returning
Officer Harendra Kumar Deb Mahanta said.
Meanwhile, polling personnel for the remote areas of
the district had proceeded to their destinations with the
remaining EVMs, they said.
The remaining would go after the repair of the faulty
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened