Faulty mobile network causes Army Colonel`s `abduction` panic
New Delhi: A reported `kidnap` of a
Colonel from his hometown Guwahati yesterday turned out to be
a false alarm, thanks to his mobile phone going off due to
poor network connectivity, giving anxious moments to the
family and the Army for 16 long hours.
As Col Dayal Kakoti of 13 Mahar Regiment left home in Pub
Sarania around 2000 Hours to visit a relative at Rangiya, 60
kms away, he lost his mobile phone contact with the family
members, who thought he was kidnapped, Army sources said.
The Colonel, who was recently transferred from Jammu and
Kashmir to Tezpur, was on transit leave and was visiting his
family at his home town when the incident occurred.
The panicky family members lodged a complaint with the
police at 2200 hours yesterday and reported the matter to the
Corps headquarters in Tezpur.
While the frantic search by the police, Army and the
family members proved futile, the mobile network beamed again
and the `missing` Colonel resurfaced to the relief of his
family and the Army.
"The family could not reach him on his mobile since last
evening and hence the miscommunication," Army officers in
Guwahati said over phone.
But they did not give the name of the mobile network
the Colonel was using.
When the Colonel got in touch with his family again, he
informed them that he was away in Rangiya to meet his
relatives and that he could not return home last night, Army
"It is purely a civil matter and not a defence matter. We
are not involved in the issue as Col Kakoti was on transit
leave provided for joining duty after being posted out," Army
However, it was not immediately known if Col Kakoti`s
family had withdrawn the police complaint or if the Army
officer would initiate any legal action against the phone
company for faulty service, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?