Faulty mobile network causes Army Colonel`s `abduction` panic
New Delhi: A reported `kidnap` of a
Colonel from his hometown Guwahati yesterday turned out to be
a false alarm, thanks to his mobile phone going off due to
poor network connectivity, giving anxious moments to the
family and the Army for 16 long hours.
As Col Dayal Kakoti of 13 Mahar Regiment left home in Pub
Sarania around 2000 Hours to visit a relative at Rangiya, 60
kms away, he lost his mobile phone contact with the family
members, who thought he was kidnapped, Army sources said.
The Colonel, who was recently transferred from Jammu and
Kashmir to Tezpur, was on transit leave and was visiting his
family at his home town when the incident occurred.
The panicky family members lodged a complaint with the
police at 2200 hours yesterday and reported the matter to the
Corps headquarters in Tezpur.
While the frantic search by the police, Army and the
family members proved futile, the mobile network beamed again
and the `missing` Colonel resurfaced to the relief of his
family and the Army.
"The family could not reach him on his mobile since last
evening and hence the miscommunication," Army officers in
Guwahati said over phone.
But they did not give the name of the mobile network
the Colonel was using.
When the Colonel got in touch with his family again, he
informed them that he was away in Rangiya to meet his
relatives and that he could not return home last night, Army
"It is purely a civil matter and not a defence matter. We
are not involved in the issue as Col Kakoti was on transit
leave provided for joining duty after being posted out," Army
However, it was not immediately known if Col Kakoti`s
family had withdrawn the police complaint or if the Army
officer would initiate any legal action against the phone
company for faulty service, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL