Fed Cup holders Italy into semis, Ivanovic woes continue
London: Fed Cup holders Italy overcame two stern tests to beat Ukraine 4-1 in Kharkiv and book their place in the semi-finals where they will play the Czech Republic.
Russia will play the United States in the other semi-final.
Former world number one Ana Ivanovic`s poor form continued from Saturday as she lost her singles and doubles matches to hand Russia a 3-2 triumph over Serbia in Belgrade. The Czechs squeezed past Germany 3-2 while the US overcame France 4-1.
Going into the second day in Ukraine tied 1-1, Italian Flavia Pennetta edged a tight match with Alona Bondarenko 7-5, 7-6, handing Francesca Schiavone the chance to seal the tie which she duly took with an impressive comeback victory against Kateryna Bondarenko, eventually winning 2-6, 6-1, 6-1.
"I played much better under pressure and I was fighting from the beginning to the end even if I did not always reach my best," world number 12 Pennetta told the Fed Cup website.
Ivanovic, by contrast, was unable to find any of the swagger that took her to French Open success in 2008 as she subsided all too easily in front of her own fans, registering just five games in both her singles loss to Alisa Kleybanova and, partnering Jelena Jankovic, in the doubles against Kleybanova and Svetlana Kuznetsova.
While Ivanovic is struggling for form, American Melanie Oudin is growing ever more confident and led from the front in the northern French town of Lievin.
After helping set up a 2-0 lead on Saturday, the 18-year-old 2009 US Open quarter-finalist got the better of Julie Coin 7-6, 6-4 to give her country an unassailable lead.
"I was a bit nervous and she was serving great, but as the match advanced I got more and more confident and I`m obviously thrilled that I was able to allow the US to go to the semis," Oudin said.
Unlike the French, the Czech Republic made full use of home advantage in Brno to beat Germany 3-2 with doubles pair Lucie Hradecka and Kveta Peschke beating German duo Anna-Lena Groenefeld and Tatjana Malek 6-1, 6-3 in the deciding rubber.
The semi-finals will be contested from April 24-25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared