Federer cruises into French Open Rd 3
Paris: Roger Federer won 13 games in succession as the 16-time Grand Slam title-winner easily disposed of French wild card Maxime Teixeira 6-3, 6-0, 6-2 to reach the Roland Garros last 32 on Wednesday.
Federer, the 2009 champion in Paris, will take on Serbian 29th seed Janko Tipsarevic, who beat Spain`s Pere Riba, for a place in the last 16.
The Swiss great overcame an early break before breezing through in just 84 minutes leaving Teixeira, playing in his first Grand Slam event and first tour-level tournament, looked every inch the world 181.
"He fought really hard and was trying his best," said Federer.
"It was a good match. I`m happy with the way I played. I feel like I am in the tournament now."
Next up is Tipsarevic, the colourful Serb who stretched Federer to five sets in the 2008 Australian Open third round.
"He`s a dangerous player, especially on the big courts against the big players," said Federer.
"I will have to be careful as he can vary his game from hard courts to clay courts."
Federer never needed to reach top gear on Wednesday and was always in control from the time he broke to lead 5-3 in the first set.
Three breaks of serve followed in the second set in which the 22-year-old Frenchman won just eight points.
Federer had swept 13 games in a row before Teixeira stopped the rot at 1-4 in the third set and the underdog even saved a match point in the seventh game.
But the world number three wrapped up victory on a sweltering Court Suzanne Lenglen when Teixeira went wide with a backhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America