Federer hammers Mannarino to make round three
London: Roger Federer raced into the third round at Wimbledon on Thursday, swatting aside French journeyman Adrian Mannarino in straight sets 6-2, 6-3, 6-2.
The six-time champion was forced to wait until nearly 8:00 pm (1900 GMT) local time before his match against the 22-year-old world number 55 could got under way on a covered Centre Court.
But Federer was clearly in no mood to hang around, dispatching the outclassed Mannarino with a minimum of fuss in less than 90 minutes.
Two quick breaks gave him the first set 6-2 in 25 minutes before he soon took control of the second set, which he wrapped up in just over half an hour.
Federer, who is bidding to equal Pete Sampras` record of seven Wimbledon titles, was soon in control of the third set, breaking Mannarino in the first and fifth games to take a 4-1 lead which he never looked like relinquishing.
The only minor impediment to victory came as Federer prepared to serve for the match, when he waited patiently for the Centre Court crowd to finish several boisterous laps of a Mexican Wave.
Federer, who finished with an extravagant leaping smash, now faces 2002 runner-up David Nalbandian for a place in the last 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule