Federer stunned by inspired Tsonga
London: Roger Federer suffered his second straight Wimbledon quarter-final exit when an extraordinary comeback by Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga condemned the Swiss to a shock 3-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 defeat on Wednesday.
The third seed`s defeat was the first time he has lost a grand slam match having been two sets up.
"It was just amazing today, I played unbelievable, everything was in," Tsonga said in a televised interview.
"That`s crazy, he is the biggest champion in my sport, he achieved a lot of things. He is the best player in the world and I`m just so happy to beat him, especially on grass as it is one of his best surfaces."
Federer, who had been bidding for a record-equaling seventh Wimbledon title, glided through the first set and never looked in danger in the second set or tiebreak as Tsonga made some sloppy, nervous errors.
However, the 12th seed soon found his groove with his immense energy and athleticism suddenly worrying Federer.
Tsonga broke for 2-1 in the third and fourth sets and held out thanks to some rasping groundstrokes and trademark volleys.
His raw power threatened to completely outmuscle the record 16-times grand slam champion, who failed to raise his game and slipped a break down at the start of the fifth set when he netted.
Federer could do nothing to halt Tsonga`s momentum with the Frenchman laying into every stroke with all his might to reach a third grand slam semi and set up a meeting with Novak Djokovic on Friday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case