Federer working with new physio to increase tennis shelf life
Basle: Roger Federer looks to be ready to fulfill his pledge to play in the 2012 London Olympic event at Wimbledon after hiring a full-time physio from the ranks of the ATP.
The 28-year-old world number one has taken on Stephane Vivier, one of seven ATP physios, to travel with him full-time following the example of Andy Roddick, who hired Dough Spreen away from the organization several seasons ago.
Federer, with a record 15 Grand Slam titles and another record in 22 consecutive semi-finals at the majors, looks determined to fulfill his dream of playing tennis into his 30s and appearing on court at the 2012 London Olympics at Wimbledon.
While his career has been on the whole injury-free, Federer has dealt with serious niggles.
His 2008 case of glandular fever compromised half of last season while a lower back problem may have contributed to a five-set loss to Rafael Nadal in January’s Australian Open final.
The Swiss player still does not have a full-time coach, though he utilises good friend and Davis Cup captain Severin Luthy as a mentor frequently at tournaments.
He is aiming for a fourth straight title at his home Swiss Indoors this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical