Fenced crater stands testimony to India`s 1st nuke test
Pokhran, Jaisalmer: A large crater in this remote area in the desert state of Rajasthan is testimony to India`s first nuclear test which was carried out on this day in 1974.
Locals still remember the impact of the test which left a crater which is now protected by fencing. The test, which also brought the area into international spotlight, was carried out by the Indira Gandhi Government and officially called `Smiling Buddha`.
International attention was once again focussed on it on the 11th and 13th May, 1998 when more nuclear tests were conducted in this region by the AB Vajpayee Government.
"I was 12-years-old when the first nuclear test took place in 1974. We heard a strong explosion in the morning hours and thought it was part of a routine military exercise
in the firing range. Later in the day, we heard the news on radio that it was a nuclear test near Loharki village," Manohar Joshi, a local, told reporters.
"However, most of the locals did not know what a nuclear test was. After the test, there were reports of a few houses in surrounding areas suffering damage due to the impact of the explosion, but in fact, it gives us immense pleasure and feeling of pride that the town is now internationally known because of the nuclear tests," he said.
The test site for India`s first nuclear weapon detonation, Pokhran is around 110 kms from the district headquarters of Jaisalmer and is a sparsely populated area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj