Ferdinand aiming for world cup final
London: England captain Rio Ferdinand has said that he would get "very disappointed" if his team doesn`t make it to the World Cup final.
"You don`t play just to get a cap or to be there. You play to win and to achieve something, and if I was to finish my career with England and not even to have got to a final, I`d be very disappointed," The Mirror quoted the defender, as saying.
Although Ferdinand will miss the match against Egypt due to injury, he is set to lead Fabio Capello`s team at the World Cup in South Africa this summer.
He said he would offer a mix of the attributes possessed by the likes of Bobby Moore and Tony Adams to the England squad.
"Tony Adams was a shouter; Bobby Moore led by example. They were two different types of captain, but both were successful. I do a bit of both. I lead by example, but when somebody needs to be told I never shirk that responsibility," he said.
The 31-year-old believes England have been guilty of getting "caught up in the hype and euphoria" surrounding the national team in previous tournaments.e also suggests there is plenty to learn from England`s experience at the 2006 World Cup, and says the current players should be able to cope without the company of their partners and children for the duration of a summer tournament.
"The whole circus that followed the England squad last time at the World Cup was a joke, and I wouldn`t like to see that again. It`s a distraction and is detrimental to our chances," he said.
"I`d rather go to the World Cup, say to yourself `Block off four weeks or whatever it is to win the World Cup`, and not see your family. I love my kids and my missus as much as anybody else, but f it meant me winning the World Cup and not seeing them for four weeks, I`d take that," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey