Ferdinand tells footballers to `banish their booze demons`
London: Ahead of the friendly against France, England defender Rio Ferdinand has delivered a sermon on the drawbacks of drinking, saying that alcohol should be enjoyed only in moderation.
"Responsibility is a big thing. As a young player, it took me a while to understand the responsibilities of a footballer, but the sooner you learn that the fewer mistakes you`ll make over your career,".
"Nowadays you have a game Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday. There`s no room in that time frame to go out on the lash and get smashed, the way you used to," he added.
The 32-year-old further said that drinking was part of the culture when he was growing up, but insists that "things have changed".
"Nowadays, you can`t afford to do that. You`re playing against teams who are physically in tip-top condition. If you`re going out you are not going to be in the same physical condition. You can`t do yourself or your team justice," Ferdinand said.
"If you`ve got a free week, there`s no problem going out, enjoying yourself and letting your hair down. You don`t have to live like a monk. But you`ve got to pick and choose your right times," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...