Ferdinand tells footballers to `banish their booze demons`
London: Ahead of the friendly against France, England defender Rio Ferdinand has delivered a sermon on the drawbacks of drinking, saying that alcohol should be enjoyed only in moderation.
"Responsibility is a big thing. As a young player, it took me a while to understand the responsibilities of a footballer, but the sooner you learn that the fewer mistakes you`ll make over your career,".
"Nowadays you have a game Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday. There`s no room in that time frame to go out on the lash and get smashed, the way you used to," he added.
The 32-year-old further said that drinking was part of the culture when he was growing up, but insists that "things have changed".
"Nowadays, you can`t afford to do that. You`re playing against teams who are physically in tip-top condition. If you`re going out you are not going to be in the same physical condition. You can`t do yourself or your team justice," Ferdinand said.
"If you`ve got a free week, there`s no problem going out, enjoying yourself and letting your hair down. You don`t have to live like a monk. But you`ve got to pick and choose your right times," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India