Ferdinand tells footballers to `banish their booze demons`
London: Ahead of the friendly against France, England defender Rio Ferdinand has delivered a sermon on the drawbacks of drinking, saying that alcohol should be enjoyed only in moderation.
"Responsibility is a big thing. As a young player, it took me a while to understand the responsibilities of a footballer, but the sooner you learn that the fewer mistakes you`ll make over your career,".
"Nowadays you have a game Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday. There`s no room in that time frame to go out on the lash and get smashed, the way you used to," he added.
The 32-year-old further said that drinking was part of the culture when he was growing up, but insists that "things have changed".
"Nowadays, you can`t afford to do that. You`re playing against teams who are physically in tip-top condition. If you`re going out you are not going to be in the same physical condition. You can`t do yourself or your team justice," Ferdinand said.
"If you`ve got a free week, there`s no problem going out, enjoying yourself and letting your hair down. You don`t have to live like a monk. But you`ve got to pick and choose your right times," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search intensifies
- LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 mn members to stay safe
- UN climate change report excludes Great Barrier reefs from in-danger list
- Lesser-known health benefits of pomegranate!
- Modi government has only indulged in rhetoric, marketing: Congress