Ferguson happy with narrow victory
Manchester: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was happy enough with his side’s performance in the 1-0 win over Besiktas on Wednesday night.
The Red Devils overcame a volatile atmosphere in Istanbul to pick up three points thanks to a late Paul Scholes header.
Speaking after the match, Ferguson said he was pleased with the display.
“Being the first game you always want to win, but I was also quite comfortable with the performance, we had good possession and were the better team, keeping our concentration well in what was a fantastic atmosphere," he stated.
“It was a test of our nerve and I think we’ve done OK. We had a little bit more urgency in the second half.”
“We started the second half very well when we almost scored in the first attack, which gave us a lot of impetus to go on.”
The Scot then spoke out in praise of Scholes and Antonio Valencia as well as substitutes Dimitar Berbatov and Michael Owen, who helped to change the game in United’s favour when they switched to a 4-4-2 system in the last 25 minutes.
He continued: “When we get into goal-scoring positions we need as many players as possible up supporting it and Paul over the years has been fantastic for us and that is a very important goal for us.”
“Valencia had the winning of the game for us I thought. He got to the by-line a number of times and although his final ball could’ve been a little bit better, they [Besiktas] were under threat.”
“Berbatov and Owen came on as a partnership I thought they did very well.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal