Ferguson to stick with trusted formula for Barcelona
Manchester: Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson is set to stick with a trusted winning formula for the Champions League final rather than change his side to counter the threat of Barcelona.
Ferguson has been considering whether to play an extra midfielder against Pep Guardiola`s side at Wembley on Saturday.
But the Scot, seeking his third Champions League win in 12 years, is unlikely to flood his midfield and should stick with the 4-4-2 system which has brought a record 19th English title.
That would mean Mexico international Javier Hernandez, who has scored 20 goals in his debut season at Old Trafford, starting in attack alongside Wayne Rooney.
It would spell more Champions League disappointment for Scotland midfielder Darren Fletcher who started his first match since March 1 last Sunday after recovering from a virus.
Fletcher missed the 2009 Champions League final when Barcelona beat United 2-0 through suspension and he was an unused substitute for the 2008 final in Moscow when Ferguson`s side defeated Chelsea on penalties.
"It`s not easy leaving players out because you are dealing with the human side of the game and players who have worked ever so hard all season for the team," Ferguson told a news conference on Tuesday.
"It`s a squad game for us this year and it can`t be easy. Unfortunately, there`s one person that has to tell them and it`s me.
"It`s not an easy job but it has to be done. We have to win the game and they understand that. I pick a team for the right reasons and I pick the subs for the right reasons.
Ferguson said it was important to focus on what was best for United.
"It`s not just about Barcelona, it`s about us too, what`s best for us and the best way of winning the match," he said.
"It will be down to how we operate the attacking part. It`s not easy picking a team with the players I`ve got because they`ve all contributed and that doesn`t make it easy for me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow