Ferrari fined $20,000 for Alonso pit incident
Barcelona: Ferrari were fined USD 20,000 on Saturday for releasing Fernando Alonso’s car into the path of Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes during the final phase of Spanish Grand Prix qualifying.
Alonso, who qualified fourth next to former McLaren team mate Lewis Hamilton for his first home race as a Ferrari driver, was not personally punished for the incident.
The double world champion, who almost collided with Rosberg’s car when he swept out of the garage, said he had been unsighted after Rosberg radioed his team to say the Spaniard should be penalised.
“I didn’t see Nico unfortunately, the angle of vision is not perfect to see anyone coming from the pits so you rely on your mechanic,” he said.
“If there is a penalty for this, we need to reconsider some of the grands prix we have had so far,” added the Ferrari driver, who had suggested a fine would be most appropriate if an offence had been committed.
The Circuit de Catalunya stewards said in a statement that after hearing evidence from a Ferrari representative, they had found the team had breached the sporting regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot