Ferrer and Dulko claim Acapulco tennis titles
Acapulco: Spaniard David Ferrer justified his top seeding on Saturday as he retained his ATP title in a thrilling three set win over compatriot Nicolas Almagro 7-6 (7/4), 6-7 (2/7), 6-2.
Argentinian journeywoman Gisela Dulko won the WTA crown beating Arantxa Parra of Spain 6-3, 7-6 (7/5) in 1hr 44min which served as an appetising sideshow to the men’s marathon.
Ferrer, ranked six in the world, maintained his perfect record against Almagro in triumphing in 2hr 41min of enthralling tennis to make it six wins from six over his 25-year-old opponent, winner here in 2008 and 2009 and a nine-time champion on the circuit.
For Ferrer, 28, it was his 11th career title and follows up on his victory earlier this year in Auckland and thwarted Almagro’s dreams of becoming the first player to win three of the ‘Golden Swing’ tournaments on clay in Latin America having taken the titles in Costa do Sauipe, Brazil, and Buenos Aires prior to this one.
Ferrer had to display all his fighting qualities in the first set as Almagro led 5-2 and was serving for the set, but several unforced errors allowed the elder Spaniard to break and played some irresistible stuff to take it on the tiebreak.
Almagro, though, didn’t run up the white flag and back he came to easily win the second set tie-break and level the match, but his legs ran out of gas in the third and final set.
“I didn’t think I could win here twice in a row,” said Ferrer, who aside from his two tournament wins also eliminated an injured Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open quarter-finals.
“It has dawned on me that I am enjoying the best start to a season of my career.
“I hope I can continue like this for the rest of the year. Nicolas fought a good fight and I think he got weary towards the end because he paid for his efforts in his two prior tournament wins - but there is no doubt that in this form he should break into the top 10 (Almagro is presently ranked 13th).”
Dulko, ranked 73 in the world and seeded four here, looked to be cruising to her fourth career title at the age of 26 as she led 5-1 in the second set.
However, Parra showed great resilience to break the Argentinian’s service twice and force a tie-break which saw her fall behind 3-0 only to come back to 3-3 and even then she went on to save two match points before finally Dulko closed out the match with her third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM