Field trials of bio-diesel in military vehicles
New Delhi: In a significant move which can
reduce the fuel bill of defence forces, DRDO is experimenting
with bio-diesel for military vehicles such as the bullet-proof
Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs).
The field trials of the bio-diesel on military vehicles
are being conducted at DRDO`s Pune-based lab, Vehicle Research
and Development Establishment (VDRE), which specialises in
developing defence vehicles.
"Defence Ministry has approved the directives for user
trials of the bio-diesel and all the tests would be completed
in another six month`s time," DRDO Chief Controller William
Selvamurthy said here.
"We are testing the fuel in terms of torque, power and
other parameters keeping in mind engine`s performance. 20 per
cent of bio-diesel mixed with regular diesel has been accepted
by the engines," said Director, Defence Institute of Bio-
Energy Research (DIBER), Zakwan Ahmed.
Results of the tests which are being carried out on BMP-II
engine, Swaraj Mazda and 2.5 tonne Tata trucks are being
analysed for further improvement in the fuel and its quality,
The bio-diesel extracted from Jatropha seeds is produced
by DRDO at its Secunderabad-based facilities, where over 400
acres of land is being used for growing the plant.
During the technical trial phase, the bio-fuel experts in
DRDO successfully managed to increase its shelf life by two
years by increasing the proportion of anti-oxidants in it.
"We have also added anti-freezing agents in this fuel to
increase its freezing point so that it can be used in high
altitude areas," Ahmed said.
The project to develop bio-fuels for military vehicles and
tanks was started a couple of years ago with DRDO making a
significant breakthrough in developing oil which can be used
to replace diesel in automobiles from the seeds of Jatropha
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Pakistan's Hafiz Saeed managed the ISIS attack in Kabul that killed 80 people?
- The list of top 10 most valuable football clubs is out – See here!
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone
- Unbelievable: Thousands throng daily at Taiwan McDonald's store to see a girl – Know why
- Kusal Mendis inspires Sri Lanka to a 196-run lead over Australia on a topsy-turvy 3rd day