FIFA`s Temarii: Mistake to talk about WCup deals
Zurich: FIFA executive committee member Reynald Temarii acknowledged he made a mistake talking with undercover reporters about deals for his World Cup hosting vote, but defended his own integrity.
Temarii told a leading news agency that he met FIFA president Sepp Blatter yesterday to ask him to launch an ethics investigation, after the London Sunday Times filmed him saying he wanted NZ Dollar 3 million (USD 2.3 million) to fund a football academy in Auckland, New Zealand.
FIFA`s independent ethics panel is scheduled to discuss his case on Wednesday, the Oceania Football Confederation president said.
"I`m confident about my integrity but I made a mistake by talking in that way," Temarii said in an interview at a Zurich hotel. "I asked the FIFA president to investigate. I gave him a letter. It`s important for me that the ethics committee investigates how I manage my relations with bidders."
Blatter has promised an "in-depth investigation` into allegations that Temarii, from Tahiti, and Nigerian FIFA executive member Amos Adamu offered to sell their votes in a poll scheduled Dec. 2 to decide which countries will host the World Cup in 2018 and 2022.
In an open latter to his colleagues on FIFA`s 24-man executive panel which will choose the hosts, Blatter said the Sunday Times` allegation is a "very unpleasant situation" for football`s governing body.
"The information in the article has created a very negative impact on FIFA and on the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups," Blatter said.
Temarii, who joined the executive committee when elected to lead world football`s smallest region in 2004, declined to give details of his meeting with Blatter at FIFA headquarters.
"Life is still going on," said the 43-year-old Temarii, a former professional player in France. "It`s up to the ethics committee to judge me and my integrity."
Blatter said the investigation will be conducted by the ethics panel working together with secretary general Jerome Valcke, but made no mention if the Dec. 2 poll could be delayed for FIFA to conduct its probe.
Chuck Blazer, the American member of FIFA`s executive committee, said he did not think the vote in Zurich would need to be postponed.
"We should deal with it within the timeframe established," Blazer said.
"We want to keep the issues separate and it`s important we conclude the World Cup decision. There is no reason why we shouldn`t. The
investigation can be done right away."
The Sunday Times reporters filmed Adamu and Temarii asking for money to fund projects while posing as lobbyists for a consortium of American companies who wanted to help bring the World Cup back to the United States. No money changed hands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt