Final status on new emission norms expected by mid-Feb: SIAM
New Delhi: A clear picture on the modalities
of implementing a new vehicle emission norm in the country
is expected by the middle of this month when the government
is likely to come out with a final plan.
"As of now we don`t have a final word (from the
government) yet but we will get it by February 15," Society of
Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) President Pawan Goenka
He said meetings were held, including with the Petroleum
& Natural Gas and Transport ministries to chart out plans for
implementation of the new norms scheduled to be effective
April 1, and sort out the problems related to upgraded fuel
supply across the country.
"Meanwhile, most of the company`s have made back up plans
and we are keeping ourselves ready," he said.
From April 1, 13 cities, where Bharat Stage (BS) III
emission norms are currently followed are scheduled to move up
to BS IV--a more stringent emission norm, while the rest of
the country will upgrade to BS III from BS II.
However, there have been concerns about the governments
preparedness to supply upgraded fuel compliant with the new
engine emission standards.
Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Jitin
Prasada had said while there will not be any issues supplying
Bharat Stage-IV petrol and diesel in 13 cities from April 1,
Bharat Stage-III will be launched in phases to cover the
entire nation by October 1.
Auto makers had earlier asked the government to give a
status on the supply issue regarding upgraded fuel latest by
January 31, while suggesting that implementation of the new
emission norms be postponed by at least by 3-6 months if fuel
supply cannot be ensured across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir