Final test run on Qazigund-Anantnag route by Aug 8
Jammu: The Northern Railway will conduct final
test run on 18 km-long Anantnag-Qazigund rail line by August
eight, before train operations will begin on the entire 119-km
track connecting Baramulla and Qazigund in Kashmir.
"While the first test trial run on the Qazigund-Anantnag
stretch on Friday was succesful, the final test run would be
conducted by Commissioner Railways Safety (CRS) on August
7-8," a senior official said here today.
Trains would start chugging through the entire 119 km
route connecting Southern end of Kashmir (Qazigund) with
Northern end (Baramulla) from next week if the CRS finds the
final test run successful, he said.
Earlier on Friday, DMUs were run through the section at
two different speeds -- 45 Kms per hour and 85 Kms per hour --
and it was successful, he said.
Currently, trains are operated between the 101-km stretch
between Anantnag and Baramulla.
The first train operation in Kashmir, the 66-km-long rail
line from Anantnag to Mazhom, was flagged off by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh in October last year. In February this
year, 35-km-long Mazhgom-Baramulla rail track was inaugurated
by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
It took almost nine years to complete the
Baramulla-Qazigund rail project, which started in 2000.
The Anantnag-Qazigund rail link has about 113 minor and
major bridges along the route, the official said, adding that
the 435-metre-long Veith river bridge is the longest followed
by the 300-metre-long Sandran bridge.
Railway protection force personnel will be deployed along
the route and a permanent police station will come up once the
route is thrown open for rail traffic, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video