Final test run on Qazigund-Anantnag route by Aug 8
Jammu: The Northern Railway will conduct final
test run on 18 km-long Anantnag-Qazigund rail line by August
eight, before train operations will begin on the entire 119-km
track connecting Baramulla and Qazigund in Kashmir.
"While the first test trial run on the Qazigund-Anantnag
stretch on Friday was succesful, the final test run would be
conducted by Commissioner Railways Safety (CRS) on August
7-8," a senior official said here today.
Trains would start chugging through the entire 119 km
route connecting Southern end of Kashmir (Qazigund) with
Northern end (Baramulla) from next week if the CRS finds the
final test run successful, he said.
Earlier on Friday, DMUs were run through the section at
two different speeds -- 45 Kms per hour and 85 Kms per hour --
and it was successful, he said.
Currently, trains are operated between the 101-km stretch
between Anantnag and Baramulla.
The first train operation in Kashmir, the 66-km-long rail
line from Anantnag to Mazhom, was flagged off by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh in October last year. In February this
year, 35-km-long Mazhgom-Baramulla rail track was inaugurated
by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
It took almost nine years to complete the
Baramulla-Qazigund rail project, which started in 2000.
The Anantnag-Qazigund rail link has about 113 minor and
major bridges along the route, the official said, adding that
the 435-metre-long Veith river bridge is the longest followed
by the 300-metre-long Sandran bridge.
Railway protection force personnel will be deployed along
the route and a permanent police station will come up once the
route is thrown open for rail traffic, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery