First Apple computer sells for £130K at auction
London: One of the first batch of Apple personal computers has fetched 133,250 pounds (210,000 dollars) at an auction in London.
The Apple I came with its original packaging and a signed sales letter from Apple co-founder and current chief executive Steve Jobs, reports the BBC.
The computer, one of only 200 of the model ever made, originally sold for 666.66 dollars when it was introduced in 1976.
Italian businessman and private collector Marco Boglione bought it over the phone at Christie’s.
Francesco Boglione, who was at the auction house, said his brother had bid for the piece of technology history "because he loves computers".
Another of Apple``s co-founders, Steve Wozniak, who was also present and agreed to add an autographed letter to the lot, said: "I``m very delighted for the gentleman who purchased it."
Christie``s said the Apple I had been the only personal computer to come with a fully assembled motherboard when it was introduced, making it ready to use straight from the box.
However, the user needed to provide a keyboard, power supply and display.
Despite its high auction value, the Apple I``s processor works 1,000 times slower than today``s Apple iPad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!