First divestment of UPA; NHPC IPO price fixed at Rs 36
New Delhi: The government has fixed a price of Rs 36 a share for the allotment of shares
in the Initial Public Offer of NHPC, thus raising Rs 6,048 crore, of which one-third would go to the Centre as disinvestment proceeds and the rest would remain with the hydro power utility PSU.
According to the Power Ministry sources, the Group of Ministers has decided to allot shares at the upper limit of the price band of Rs 30-36 a share.
The NHPC IPO, in which investors were asked to bid for shares in the price range of Rs 30-36 a share, closed on August 12 with a huge over-subscription of more than 23 times.
NHPC shares are likely to be listed on the bourses in the first week of September, sources said without divulging the exact date.
The shares on sale during the offer included the government`s five percent equity and 10 percent of fresh equity issued by the PSU.
The government would get Rs 2,016 crore while NHPC would retain the remaining Rs 4,032 crore. Post IPO, the government`s stake would come down to little over 86 percent in the power PSU.
With an installed capacity of 4,815 MW, NHPC has 11 projects under construction aggregating to a total capacity of 4,622 MW. The new projects are likely to be commissioned by 2012.
NHPC would use the IPO proceeds to part fund its ongoing investments in 11 projects. It also has plans to add 14,000 MW of power by 2020 for which it has either completed survey of projects or was in the process of surveying several others.
As part of its diversification plan, NHPC, along with the Madhya Pradesh government, would implement a 1,000 MW thermal power plant at Khandwa in that state. The PSU is also surveying projects in Bhutan, Myanmar and Nepal.
With the completion of NHPC`s IPO, the disinvestment programme of UPA-II has started on a high note as the IPO was over subscribed 23 times. This would give impetus to the planned stake sale in the Central PSUs by the government.
The previous tenure of UPA saw listing of three power sector PSUs -- PFC, PGCIL and REC.
Although no disinvestment target was fixed by the government in the Budget for 2009-10, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had said, "The PSUs are the wealth of the nation, and part of this wealth should rest in the hands of the people."
"While retaining at least 51 percent government equity in our enterprises, I propose to encourage people`s participation in out disinvestment programme," he had said.
The Congress, which heads the UPA, had made clear its intent on going ahead with disinvestment saying if any of its "allies had any specific objection, we will deal with it".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah