First generation iPad prototype up for auction
Melbourne: The “First Generation Prototype” of the original iPad has gone on sale on eBay, attracting bids of at least 10,000 dollars so far.
The original 2010 16GB iPad looks authentic enough, although it does not have the word “iPad” printed on its outer shell.
Unlike the device which was unveiled to the world two years ago, this model, trademarked 2009, has the long-rumoured two dock connectors on the bottom and left side of the tablet, News.com.au reported.
“This is one of a VERY small amount of Apple prototype devices and you rarely see these on ebay,” the ad says.
“This iPad has 16GBs of capacity, and is incredibly unique. For starters, It has 2 dock connectors. Apple prototyped these iPads to have this connector late in the process and at the last minute decided to remove them.
“There are patent drawings and leaked casings that show the indents for both dock connector holes, but this unit has both dock connectors, and both are full functional for charging this iPad and connecting it to your computer.”
The device is also running Apple’s software testing suite, called “SwitchBoard” – refurbished by the seller after being intentionally disabled by Apple.
“It comes with no warranty, and is intended as a cool collectors item or if you’re interested in the hardware or software on it,” the seller said.
The bids for this Apple “antique” started at 4800 dollars but has gone to 10,000 dollars with just hours left.
One problem identified by the seller is that the touchscreen doesn’t work very well, and it looks a little worse for wear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?