First homicide in Bengal chit fund scam
Hooghly (West Bengal): Apart from suicides which followed the chit fund scandal in West Bengal, a director of such a company was found murdered by suspected depositors at Chunchura in Hooghly district.
One of the directors of Hello India chit fund company, Jayanta Sarkar (48) was allegedly killed with a sharp weapon at his residence last night, the police said.
According to an FIR lodged at the Chunchura police station by Sarkar`s wife Papiya Sarkar today, three men, Abhijit Saha and Abdullah Rashid from Coochbehar and Biplab Biswas from Haringhata, killed her husband and draped the body in a cloth before departing at around 3 am.
Chunchura SP Tanmoy Roychowdhury said, quoting the victim`s wife, that Sarkar had repayed most of the amount taken from the depositors.
He said that Sarkar, who also owned a factory at Howrah and a office in Kolkata, was trying to sell the two premises to raise funds to repay money to depositors.
The multi-crores chit fund scam, that had rocked the state, was detected following the closure of several media houses run by Saradha group, which has defaulted on repayment to lakhs of investors.
Protests are being held by the investors and agents of the company in different parts of the state and there have been reports of vandalism in the chit fund company`s offices and its other properties.
Several incidents of suicides by the company`s agents were also reported after the scandal came to light.
Saradha Group chairman Sudipto Sen, who had fled the state, was arrested from Sonamarg in Kashmir along with his close associate Debjani Mukherjee and another employee Arvind Singh Chauhan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended