First homicide in Bengal chit fund scam
Hooghly (West Bengal): Apart from suicides which followed the chit fund scandal in West Bengal, a director of such a company was found murdered by suspected depositors at Chunchura in Hooghly district.
One of the directors of Hello India chit fund company, Jayanta Sarkar (48) was allegedly killed with a sharp weapon at his residence last night, the police said.
According to an FIR lodged at the Chunchura police station by Sarkar`s wife Papiya Sarkar today, three men, Abhijit Saha and Abdullah Rashid from Coochbehar and Biplab Biswas from Haringhata, killed her husband and draped the body in a cloth before departing at around 3 am.
Chunchura SP Tanmoy Roychowdhury said, quoting the victim`s wife, that Sarkar had repayed most of the amount taken from the depositors.
He said that Sarkar, who also owned a factory at Howrah and a office in Kolkata, was trying to sell the two premises to raise funds to repay money to depositors.
The multi-crores chit fund scam, that had rocked the state, was detected following the closure of several media houses run by Saradha group, which has defaulted on repayment to lakhs of investors.
Protests are being held by the investors and agents of the company in different parts of the state and there have been reports of vandalism in the chit fund company`s offices and its other properties.
Several incidents of suicides by the company`s agents were also reported after the scandal came to light.
Saradha Group chairman Sudipto Sen, who had fled the state, was arrested from Sonamarg in Kashmir along with his close associate Debjani Mukherjee and another employee Arvind Singh Chauhan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know