Fish, Isner set up Atlanta title rematch
Atlanta (Georgia): Defending champion Mardy Fish and John Isner lined up a re-run of last year`s final at the ATP Atlanta Championships with decisive semifinal victories on Saturday.
Top seed Fish won his eighth straight match at the venue as he schooled American teenager Ryan Harrison 6-2, 6-4 in a win over a promising youngster a decade his junior.
Isner, seeded third, will play his second final in as many tournaments after beating Luxmbourg`s Gilles Muller 7-5, 6-7 (3/7), 6-1.
Fish beat Isner in the final a year ago in a third-set tiebreaker played in heatwave conditions.
Weather on Sunday promises to be around 30 degrees Celsius (86 Fahrenheit) and slightly more tolerable.
"I had to play well and I did play well," said Fish, whose number nine ranking makes him the highest-ranked American on the ATP tour.
"This was the best I`ve felt on court. It was my toughest match of the week against my most difficult opponent."
Isner is riding high on confidence after breaking a lean spell with a second career title, lifted a fortnight ago on grass at Newport.
"I always play my best when I`m confident," he said. "I can move better when I`m confident. I`m not the fastest guy, but I`ve been moving well this week.”
"It comes from having a clear mind and making the right decisions on the court. Now that I feel like this, I don`t want to let it go."
Isner used his huge serve to advantage in a victory achieved in just under two and a half hours.
The American rained down 28 aces to 16 for Muller, who was playing in his first semifinal since Los Angeles six years ago.
Isner was playing back-to-back ATP semifinals for the first time in his career.
Fish admitted that his serve let him down on court "but everything else worked fine."
The final will be his first day match of the week after a run of night sessions.
"The balls will be a bit quick," Fish predicted. "With John the points are usually short.”
"But he makes you work on service games. It will be physical, but it`s great to be back in this position."
Fish holds a 2-1 career record over Isner and will be trying to defend a title for the first time in his career after playing his fourth semi of the season.
He has come back strong after losing both singles rubbers in a Davis Cup loss this month to Spain while coping with the effects of a lingering abdominal muscle strain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?