Fish reels in Isner to win second title in a row
Atlanta: Mardy Fish reeled in second seed John Isner 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 to clinch the Atlanta Tennis Championships on Sunday and win his second successive ATP title.
Fish, who won the Hall of Fame Championships in Newport two weeks ago, extended his winning streak to 10 matches after dominating the third-set tiebreak.
"This is as top as I`ve ever been," Fish told reporters. "I`ve never won two tournaments in one year, I`ve never won two tournaments in a row, and on the ATP tour, I`ve never won 10 matches in a row. It`s probably as good as it`s been."
Isner had been bidding for his second title of the season after winning in Auckland earlier this year, and looked to have the momentum after claiming the first set.
But Fish responded with a break late in the second and again early in the third.
Isner broke back immediately in the decider and threatened to break his fellow American again in the ninth game, but fell short and ended up conceding a decisive 4-0 lead in the tiebreak.
Fish, appearing in his third final in his past four tournaments, mowed through the final three points to complete victory and continue his brilliant run.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu