Fishermen for quick distribution of cyclone relief
Puducherry: Fishermen in the union
territory would stage an agitation in front of the assembly here on March 28 synchronising with the budget session, to press for their charter of demands.
R Mangayarselvan, organizer of `Meenavar Viduthalai
Vengaigal` (an organisation of fishermen), told reporters here
that the government was adopting an `anti fishermen approach`
proof of which was delay in distribution of relief to the
fishermen hit by the cyclone on December 30 last year.
Though Chief Minister N Rangasamy had announced relief
would be given as per classification of fishing vessels
affected by the cyclone, nothing had been done. More than 3600
catamarans were lost in the storm, but the government had
assessed that only 300 were lost in the natural calamity.
Fishermen had not been able to venture into the sea
since last 74 days after the cyclone hit Puducherry as they
were deprived of fishing vessels and other equipment, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city