Fishermen for quick distribution of cyclone relief
Puducherry: Fishermen in the union
territory would stage an agitation in front of the assembly here on March 28 synchronising with the budget session, to press for their charter of demands.
R Mangayarselvan, organizer of `Meenavar Viduthalai
Vengaigal` (an organisation of fishermen), told reporters here
that the government was adopting an `anti fishermen approach`
proof of which was delay in distribution of relief to the
fishermen hit by the cyclone on December 30 last year.
Though Chief Minister N Rangasamy had announced relief
would be given as per classification of fishing vessels
affected by the cyclone, nothing had been done. More than 3600
catamarans were lost in the storm, but the government had
assessed that only 300 were lost in the natural calamity.
Fishermen had not been able to venture into the sea
since last 74 days after the cyclone hit Puducherry as they
were deprived of fishing vessels and other equipment, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!