Fishermen for quick distribution of cyclone relief
Puducherry: Fishermen in the union
territory would stage an agitation in front of the assembly here on March 28 synchronising with the budget session, to press for their charter of demands.
R Mangayarselvan, organizer of `Meenavar Viduthalai
Vengaigal` (an organisation of fishermen), told reporters here
that the government was adopting an `anti fishermen approach`
proof of which was delay in distribution of relief to the
fishermen hit by the cyclone on December 30 last year.
Though Chief Minister N Rangasamy had announced relief
would be given as per classification of fishing vessels
affected by the cyclone, nothing had been done. More than 3600
catamarans were lost in the storm, but the government had
assessed that only 300 were lost in the natural calamity.
Fishermen had not been able to venture into the sea
since last 74 days after the cyclone hit Puducherry as they
were deprived of fishing vessels and other equipment, he
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India