Fishermen for quick distribution of cyclone relief
Puducherry: Fishermen in the union
territory would stage an agitation in front of the assembly here on March 28 synchronising with the budget session, to press for their charter of demands.
R Mangayarselvan, organizer of `Meenavar Viduthalai
Vengaigal` (an organisation of fishermen), told reporters here
that the government was adopting an `anti fishermen approach`
proof of which was delay in distribution of relief to the
fishermen hit by the cyclone on December 30 last year.
Though Chief Minister N Rangasamy had announced relief
would be given as per classification of fishing vessels
affected by the cyclone, nothing had been done. More than 3600
catamarans were lost in the storm, but the government had
assessed that only 300 were lost in the natural calamity.
Fishermen had not been able to venture into the sea
since last 74 days after the cyclone hit Puducherry as they
were deprived of fishing vessels and other equipment, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi