Fishermen for quick distribution of cyclone relief
Puducherry: Fishermen in the union
territory would stage an agitation in front of the assembly here on March 28 synchronising with the budget session, to press for their charter of demands.
R Mangayarselvan, organizer of `Meenavar Viduthalai
Vengaigal` (an organisation of fishermen), told reporters here
that the government was adopting an `anti fishermen approach`
proof of which was delay in distribution of relief to the
fishermen hit by the cyclone on December 30 last year.
Though Chief Minister N Rangasamy had announced relief
would be given as per classification of fishing vessels
affected by the cyclone, nothing had been done. More than 3600
catamarans were lost in the storm, but the government had
assessed that only 300 were lost in the natural calamity.
Fishermen had not been able to venture into the sea
since last 74 days after the cyclone hit Puducherry as they
were deprived of fishing vessels and other equipment, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Please do not speculate: Police to commentators
- German president 'horrified' by 'murderous attack' in Munich
- Munich newspaper says has unconfirmed report one shooter dead
- Indian consulate in Munich puts out advisory
- Chancellor Angela Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings: spokesman