Fit-again Nadal eyes further Indian Wells success
Indian Wells: Rafael Nadal was delighted to be back at one of his favourite venues for the Indian Wells ATP tournament after shaking off the knee injury that forced him to abandon his Australian Open title defence.
The Spanish left-hander has not competed since withdrawing from his quarter-final against Briton Andy Murray in Melbourne in January when he felt his play was good enough to win a seventh grand slam crown.
“That was the worst thing because I was playing really well,” world number three Nadal told reporters at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Friday of his Australian Open campaign.
“I was believing I can win the tournament there. I had the chance. I had a break in the first (set), a break in the second and I was playing at very good level.
“I think he played really well, too. It was a really good match, no? Both players played really well and I feel like I was at the top the whole time.”
Murray produced a breathtaking display to open up a 6-3 7-6 3-0 lead when Nadal, who had called in the trainer to treat his troublesome knee earlier in the set, shook his head and informed the Scot he could no longer continue.
The Spaniard was then sidelined for two-and-a-half weeks while the tendon healed in his right knee but he is now ready to make a successful ATP Tour return at Indian Wells where he won the title in 2007 and last year.
“This is one of my favourite tournaments, if not the favourite,” said Nadal, who enjoys playing golf in the Palm Springs area on non-match days.
“You feel like you are not playing a tournament. You feel like a little bit out of the world here. I play really well here all the time.
“Two semi-finals (in 2006 and 2008) and two victories so it’s good tournament for me.”
Asked if he had revised his goals for this year, Nadal replied: “I just want to be healthy and play well. If I do both things, I gonna have good chances to play and have good tournaments and to have good results.
“My feeling is the level is there, much better than what I had the last six, seven or eight months. I worked a lot in Mallorca the whole time and I think I am playing really well.”
Nadal, seeded third at Indian Wells, is scheduled to play his opening match against Germany’s Rainer Schuettler on Saturday in the second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly